Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pale Harrier

The Pale Harrier is pale grey in color and is smaller than the common Pariah Kite. It has black wing-tips and is very graceful in flight, which is typical of birds of prey. Spotting the harrier is quite difficult, as it moves constantly from one area to another. However, it can easily be identified from its call, kikee, kikeeee. Its presence is noticeable by the nervous flight and calls of smaller birds - like the Bulbul, Myna, Sparrow - in the area. It can be seen in this region during the winter. 

For these photographs, I had positioned myself with the camera the moment its calls were heard and was lucky that it came within reasonably close distance, within a few minutes.


3 comments:

  1. This is a Shikra :-)

    ---- Adesh Shivkar

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pallid (or Pale)Harrier is strictly a bird of open and grassland habitat.... never seen in urban landscape and rarely perches on trees ....

    While the Shikra is our common urban predator ;-)

    Refer this site for any cross-checking

    http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/

    use the search box to see images to the desired species ....

    Regards,
    Adesh Shivkar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Adesh. I will check this site. Can you identify the white-headed bird in my latest post?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading.
I appreciate your feedback! Please leave a comment below and let me know how I can improve my blog