Sunday, October 2, 2011

Whitebreasted Kingfisher

About the size of a myna, this is the most common of the kingfishers seen in India. It has bright turquoise-blue wings and tail, with dark-brown colored head, neck and lower body parts. It has a long, pointed red beak; the throat and breast is conspicuously white, hence the name.

It has a loud call, keek, keek, keek…..and can be spotted near ponds, lakes and riversides  and also in lightly wooded areas, away from water. These photographs were taken near my residence and indicate that it is common in this part of the country, although it is slowly running out of nesting spaces in urban areas.
More photographs: https://picasaweb.google.com/home

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading.
I appreciate your feedback! Please leave a comment below and let me know how I can improve my blog