Sunday, June 24, 2012

Mumbra Hills


The hills of Mumbra are visible to everyone commuting on the Central Railway, beyond Thane. At the top is a temple dedicated to Mumbra Devi, goddess of the local people.

The temple is easily accessed by rough hewn, steep stairs which reach right up to the entrance. From the summit, one can have a panoramic view of the Thane Creek and the railway lines, both leading to Dombivli and Kalyan, the trains appearing like tiny worms inching their way ahead.


 
Over most of the way up to the temple, trees form a shady canopy which is really appreciated if one is making the trip in the summer. The entire hill range is lightly forested and home to various bird species. An ideal time to make the trip would be in the morning, before 10.00am.

Tailor birds, warblers, sunbirds can be spotted. We also spotted the Malabar Laughing Thrush (I admit I am not very sure about its identity). One can also spot the Laggar Falcon and the more common Pariah & Brahminy Kites.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading.
I appreciate your feedback! Please leave a comment below and let me know how I can improve my blog