Sunday, January 1, 2012

Pied Starling


The Asian Pied Starling is one of the group of starlings, the others being Rosy Starling, Chestnut-tailed Starling and Brahminy Starling. All of these species are also commonly termed as mynas.
See posts on Grey-headed Myna & Brahminy Myna. More about the Rosy Starling in one of  the future posts.

It is very common and is seen in the vicinity of human inhabitation, feeding mainly on insects and food near garbage dumps. I had the opportunity to photograph this bird in clear sunlight, as it perched on a tree opposite my window, probably basking the warmth of the morning sun.

Name
Asian Pied Starling


Alternate names
Pied Myna; Hindi: Ablak Myna


Occurrence
Can be seen in pairs or flocks of several birds, in thinly wooded or open land, prefers proximity to human inhabitation


Status
Common


Distinct features
Black and white bird with orange circular band around its eyes and dark orange and yellow beak


Male/female
Alike


On a different note, I wish you all a happy and prosperous new year. Hope that the new year brings good tidings for the animal world.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading.
I appreciate your feedback! Please leave a comment below and let me know how I can improve my blog