Sunday, January 29, 2012

Purple Swamphen

Purple Swamphen is known to be fairly common in the wetlands and marshes surrounding our city, although I have not had an opportunity of sighting one. This photograph was taken by my colleague Jaideep Jadhav, on his recent trip to Alleppy, Kerala. It was snapped from a river boat, while cruising in the backwaters.

As can be seen, it has bluish-purple feathers, red beak with a bare red extension covering the forehead and white underparts, visible when it flicks its tail upwards; it has long red legs convenient for movement through the reeds and undergrowth.

Name
Purple Swamphen
Alternate names
Purple Moorhen
Size
Small hen
Occurrence
Present in wetlands and marshes amidst reeds, foraging for food. Often seen in groups of four or more
Status
Fairly common
Distinct features
Bluish-purple body, a distinct red beak with a red extension on forehead
Male/female
Alike; female has a duller forehead extension

1 comment:

Thanks for reading.
I appreciate your feedback! Please leave a comment below and let me know how I can improve my blog